The Corkickle Brake was 525 Yards long with an inclination averaging from 1 in 5.2 to 1 in 6.6. Its maximum loading was 72 tons downhill and 60 tons uphill. The brake was capabale of being run if neccessary with a difference of 25 tons in the loading. At the passing point on the incline one wagon would pass four wagons, three waggons would pass two wagons and two wagons would pass two wagons. The incline was laid with a single track from the bottom to the passing loop and from there three rails ascended to near the brake top. CLICK HERE to see maps of the Corkickle Brake.
Corkickle Brake - Significant Dates
- Corkickle Brake constructed by the Earl of Lonsdales whitehaven Colliery Company in 1881.
- Upgraded and modernised in 1904.
- Ladysmith Colliery closed in January 1932 and Brake left unused.
- In late 1953 the NCB hand over the long disused Corkickle brake to Marchon Products.
- After modernisation testing commenced in the spring of 1955.
- New Peckett locomotive purchased by Marchon and brought up the Corkickle Brake on 31st March 1955.
- Full traffic commences during May 1955.
- Marchon taken over by Albright & Wilson in NOvember 1955.
- Marchon works turned to diesel motive power in January 1962 with the purchase of Sentinel 230hp 4 wheel diesel hydraulic loco 10086.
- In the late 1960's the Brickworks siding is closed when traffic transferred to road transport.
- August 1972 landslip at former brickworks siding.
- In 1972 new engineman's control cabin built on roof of enginehouse to give unobstructed view down incline.
- Sentinel 10085 (sister to above) purchased in August 1969 after reconditioning.
- Corkickle Brake used for last time on 4th November 1986.
Marchon Works Locomotives
- "Lady Anne" 15in x 22in Cylinders - Built by Yorkshire in 1926 - At Marchon January 1955 till July 1959
- "Lady Polly" 16in x 24in Cylinders - Built by Peckett in 1955 - At Marchon March 1955 till June 1970
- "Stone Cross" 14in x 20in Cylinders - Built by Avonside in 1916 - At Marchon May 1958 till August 1958
- "No 64" 16in x 24in Cylinders - Built by Barclay in 1944 - At Marchon August 1960 till March 1969
- "10086" 230HP - Built by Sentinel in 1961 - At Marchon January 1962 till April 1986
- "10085" 230HP - Built by Sentinel in 1961 - At Marchon August 1969 till April 1986
- "10206" 325HP - Built by Rolls Royce in 1965 - At Marchon May 1979 till November 1986
- "7017" 400HP - Built by Hunslet in 1971 - At Marchon April 1986 till November 1986