History - The Carlisle Citadel Act of 1861 included a new loop between Bog Junction and Willowholme Junction to take goods traffic away from the station approaches. It was brought into use in 1877 and a joint undertaking made up from LNWR, CR, MR and GSWR nominees, known as the Goods Traffic Committee (GTC), was formed to administer the branch. In 1984 a freightliner train from Warrington divided when coming down Shap and the rear part free-wheeled towards Carlisle. The signalman in Carlisle PSB routed the front portion away from the goods avoiding lines, but the rear part was channelled through the goods lines. At the bridge over the River Caldew, close to Dentonholme Goods Depot, the remains of the train came to grief. The containers, which included dangerous chemical tanks, derailed on the bridge and caused extensive damage to the track and bridge structure, with some ending up in the river. The through line closed in 1984 but the section south of the damaged bridge remained open for a further ten years to serve the Metal Box Co.
Route when open - From Bog Junction, where the line to Maryport curved away SW, it headed west to Rome Street, a four-way junction where a line trailed in from Forks Junction and the NER Canal branch continued NW. It then curved north, passed over River Caldew by a skew bridge and under Nelson road bridge to Dentonholme Joint goods. Here, at Dentonholme South Junction, lines diverged with a second skew bridge taking one branch back over the river towards the main line whilst the other continued along the west bank to the exit from the goods yard where a third skew bridge took it over the river to rejoin the avoiding line at Dentonholme North Junction which joined the main line a little further north at Caldew Junction and the spur to the NBR lines at Willowholme Junction.
Route today - The 200yds between Rome Street and the first Skew bridge are mainly clear but industrial units have been built partly on the trackbed. About 70% of the damaged bridge is still in place and on the opposite bank the trackbed has been leased to Sustrans who have converted it into a short cycleway the Caldew Riverside Trail part of NCN7. This runs from Thomas Street to Bridge Street and utilises the 2nd skew bridge which has been refurbished. The site of Dentonholme goods warehouse and yard are now occupied by retail and business units. Where the line re-crosses to the opposite bank the site of Viaduct goods depot and yard is now occupied by business units, a public car park and Viaduct Estate Road, a new road that runs along the west side of the main line into Carlisle station.
Reopening Proposal - The line was first considered for reinstatement in 1999 to deal with a major increase in coal traffic through Carlisle. In April 2007 it was reported that Network Rail was toying with the idea buying back the trackbed.
Relics today - 1st skew bridge five plate girder spans supported on four twin masonry piers damaged, three spans still in situ complete with overhead portal structure; 2nd skew bridge at Dentonholme South Junction four lattice girder spans on three twin masonry piers, intact but width of deck reduced to support a cycleway bridge; no trace of third skew bridge at Dentonholme North Junction.
Many thanks to Ralph Rawlinson who supplied the information maps and photos for this article. If you have any information or photos on Bog Junction Goods Line you would like to include on this website please send them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Baker Rail Atlas 2004