This photo shows the halt of Smardale. As passenger traffic dwindled, this small station was one of the first to be closed, 1-12-52. The station had closed once before in 1915. It was closed as a wartime economy. The station reopened again in 1919, but in the period that the station was closed it was used as an unstaffed halt. The picture was taken before 1922, as that was the year the signal box disappeared without trace. Picture by Eddie Foster.
Copyright of Mark Keefe from Stainmore Railway Company